Contact Information

Direct questions to or call (805) 893-4362.

UCSB Materials Department Travel Guide

This page has been established by the Materials Department to aid faculty, staff, students and other research personnel with the scheduling and reimbursement of University related travel. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list, but rather a guide in helping employees understand Department requirements and expectations. A complete copy of the University's policy on travel can be found the UCSB Business & Financial Services' Travel Planning website. If you have specific questions, please direct them to your Travel Coordinator.

General Policy

Prior approval (Department Travel Approval Form) is required for all travel to ensure proper agency approval, advisor approval and existing funding for proposed travel. It is imperative that this form be completed and submitted prior to making travel arrangements.

Materials Guidelines for Concur Requests and Reimbursement

BFS Travel Quick Reference Guide 

Travel advances are payments made before a trip takes place and can be issued for expenses incurred, such as airfare and registration fees. If you need an advance, please indicate this on the travel approval form and attach receipts for your incurred expenses. Receipts must be itemized and show proof of payment. Please plan ahead and submit advance requests at least 2 weeks prior to your trip.  Advances cannnot be issued after you leave for your trip, or if you have previous travel advances that have not been cleared.

Account Numbers

When filling out travel forms, you will need an account name and number to which the expenses will be charged. Please also provide the project code, if available.


All receipts submitted must be originals. The original "passenger receipt" must be submitted, including when airfare has been paid by Travel Advance. Include a copy of the travel itinerary when submitting receipts. Submit receipts electronically when possible.  When submitting paper receipts please place in an envelope to prevent loss. Do not staple or tape the receipts.


Airline tickets can be purchased once travel approval is obtained. Students, Post-Docs and Visiting Researchers are responsible for making their own flight reservations. Traveler must use a U.S. carrier (economy class).

For Electronic Tickets, the following documents are needed:

Passenger Receipt coupon, requested from travel agent OR original itinerary showing cost of ticket and method of payment OR a written receipt, requested by traveler at airport. Boarding passes are not sufficient.


Travel Advances: Traveler is required to refund any advance immediately when a trip is canceled or indefinitely postponed. (Refund checks should be made payable to UC Regents.)

Tickets: Traveler is responsible for the cancellation or any changes made to reservations. If the trip itinerary is changed or canceled en route, do not throw away any unused portion of tickets. Unused tickets must be submitted for refund.

Foreign Travel

Canada and Mexico are considered domestic travel.

In some cases, prior approval by a funding source is required from agency for foreign travel. Always confirm approval in advance of any plans. Required agency approval varies from 60-90 days prior to trip.

You must use a U.S. Flag carrier for air transportation to foreign countries, unless specific instances apply, such as, if there are no US carriers available you may request an exception through proper channels to use a foreign carrier.

Foreign per diem rates (lodging, meals and miscellaneous) vary by date and city. Rates may be obtained from your Travel Coordinator. Please visit the website below to view foreign per diem rates: per diem rates calculator

Graduate Student Travel Grant

The Graduate Division awards travel funds to graduate students one time per academic career. The student must fill out an application and submit it to the Graduate Division. If approved, for reimbursement purposes, please submit a copy of the award letter to your travel coordinator. For more information and applications, contact the Student Affairs Office at (805) 893-4601.


An original itemized hotel receipt must accompany requests for reimbursement. Room charge and tax must be itemized separately from other expenses charged to the room. The maximum room rate is $275 per night before taxes and fees. Reimbursement for lodging is not allowed when the total trip is less than 21 hours.

If you share a hotel room, please request that the invioce is divided accordingly.  This is especially importment if you and your roommate(s) are not funded on the same account.  Failure to do so may delay your reimbursement.  

Please visit the website below for discounted rates associated with UCSB: UC Office of the President Connexxus Travel Program

Meal Allowances

Currently, we do not require receipts for meals during travel, but there is a $79/day maximum allowance. This is NOT to be treated as a per diem rate. You should report meal expenses on the meal log based on the actual expenses you have incurred. You will be required to provide meal receipts if you appear to be treating the daily maximum allowance as a per diem (please keep receipts until the expense has been approved). Alcohol expenses are not a reimbursable travel expense and should be omitted from your request. There is no meal allowance for domestic trips under 24 hours.  

Mileage Allowances

Reimbursement of 65.5 cents a mile is allowed when personal vehicles are used. Vehicle license plate number must be provided when claiming mileage for a personal vehicle. Personal vehicles must have liability insurance in order to receive reimbursement.

Registration Fees

If necessary, registration fees may be paid by a Travel Advance if submitted more than 2 weeks prior to trip. However, if the trip is less than 2 weeks away, there may not be enough time for the conference to receive payment before its start date. In that case, the traveler should pay it. In both cases, receipts will be required for reimbursement.

Rental Vehicles

Intermediate or smaller vehicles are allowed.  If a larger car is needed please contact your travel coordinator for preapproval.

UC has corporate agreements with some vehicle rental agencies. Their UC contract price includes extra insurance for Loss Damage Waiver, Collision Damage Waiver, Supplemental Liability Insurance and Liability Insurance Supplement. Travelers will not be reimbursed for this personal accident insurance for rental vehicles (exception: foreign travel). Please visit the website below for discounted rates associated with UCSB: UC Office of the President Connexxus Travel Program.  Booking through Concur guarentees the traveler has the corporate rates and extra insurance.  


If your purchased airfare is indirect and/or includes personal time, please print a quote that shows what the cost of airfare would have been for direct travel on business dates.  Submit the quote in addition to your actual airfare receipt.   The quote should be printed on the same date that you actually purchase your ticket.