Dr. Steven P. DenBaars is an Professor of Materials and Co-Director of the Solid-State Lighting Center at the University of California Santa Barbara. From 1988-1991 Prof. DenBaars was a member of the technical staff at Hewlett-Packard's Opkoelectroncis Division involved in the growth and fabrication of visible LEDs. Specific research interests include growth of wide-bandgap semiconductors (GaN based), and their application to Blue LEDs and lasers and high power electronic devices. This research has lead to the first US university demonstration of a Blue GaN laser diode and over 7 patents pending on GaN growth and processing. In 1994 he received a NSF Young Investigator award. He has Authored or Co-Authored over 431 technical publications, 150 conference presentation, and 14 patents.
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California Ph.D. degree, December 1988, Department of Electrical Engineering University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California M.S. degree, June 1986, Department of Materials Science (graduated with Honors)
University of Arizona, Tuczon, Arizona B.S. degree, 1984, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering (graduated with Highest Distinction) Valedictorian
Electronic Materials growth and fabrication of new semiconductor devices.
MOCVD of III-V compound semiconductor materials and devices (InP, GaN).
Special interests include the effect of materials properties on device performance Blue LEDs, Blue Lasers, and High Temperature, High Power Electronic Devices.
HONORS & PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITES
Professor, 1998, Materials and ECE Departments
Associate Professor, Materials Department, 1994-1998
Assistant Professor, UCSB , Materials Dept., 1991-94
Hewlett-Packard Optoelectronics, Member Technical Staff, San Jose, CA1988-91
Research Assistant, USC Compound Semiconductor Laboratory, 1984-88
FIVE SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
Best Paper Award, Electronic Materials Conference 1987 NSF Young Investigator Award 1994-99 VBL Visiting Professor Fellowship, Nagoya University 1996 Co-Organizer, Fall MRS Symposium on GaN Materials, 1997 Chairman, LEOS Topical Conference on Gallium Nitride 1997 Co-Founder, Nitres Inc. 1997 Young Scientist Award, Intl. Symposium on Compound Semiconductors 1998 Scientific Advisor, Cree Lighting Co. 2000-present Chairman, MOVPE Conference 2004
(Authored or Co-Authored over 431 technical publications, 150 conference presentation, and 14 patents.)
1. Craven MD, Lim SH, Wu F, Speck JS, DenBaars SP. "Threading dislocation reduction via laterally overgrown nonpolar" (1120) a-plane GaN. [Journal Paper] Applied Physics Letters, vol.81, no.7, 12 Aug. 2002, pp.1201-3. Publisher: AIP, USA.
2. Heikman S, Keller S, DenBaars SP, Mishra UK. "Growth of Fe doped semi-insulating GaN by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition." [Journal Paper] Applied Physics Letters, vol.81, no.3, 15 July 2002, pp.439-41. Publisher: AIP, USA.
3. Skogen EJ, Barton JS, DenBaars SP, Coldren LA. "Tunable sampled-grating DBR lasers using quantum-well intermixing." [Journal Paper] IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol.14, no.9, Sept. 2002, pp.1243-5. Publisher: IEEE, USA.
4. DenBaars SP, Abare AC, Mack MP, Hansen M, Sink RK, Kozodoy P, Keller S, Speck JS, Bowers JE, Mishra UK, Coldren LA. "Blue InGaN MQW laser diodes on sapphire." [Conference Paper] Conference Proceedings. LEOS'98. 11th Annual Meeting. IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society 1998 Annual Meeting (Cat. No.98CH36243). IEEE. Part vol.2, 1998, pp.346-7 vol.2. Piscataway, NJ, USA.
5. Denbaars SP. "Gallium nitride based semiconductors for short wavelength optoelectronics." [Journal Paper] International Journal of High Speed Electronics, vol.8, no.2, June 1997, pp.265-82. Publisher: World Scientific, Singapore